Monday, January 4, 2010

A Daily Dose of Drucker


Yes, I am talking about the remarkable collections of ideas of the great business philosopher and management thinker Peter F Drucker. I bought this book sometime in June last year, so decided NOT to read because the daily dose starts from January 1 and each one of his thoughts and ideas is concluded by an Action Point. I loved the idea because the book does not just leave you with open ended thoughts and philosophies, but ask you to work on it. In my opinion, some of his doses convey extremely powerful message yet simple to understand, but some of them are difficult to understand for some one like me who lacks academic knowledge in the field of management. As planned, I started taking doses this year and I am going to write about some of them every week. This week, I am picking up
his January 2 does on Identifying the future. In this dose, he highlights the importance of identifying the 
future trend which has already happened. He suggests that futurists and visionaries count the number of their predictions that came true and do not count that they did not predict and came true.
The Action point for the reader:
Identify the major trends in your market that have already appeared. Write a page on their likely longevity and impact on your life and organization.
When I thought about this a little more, there must be a reason he mentioned this at very beginning of the year. Specially in the field of computers & technology, identifying the future which is already happening is essential to keep yourself highly marketable and adaptable. I am going to work on this Action Point and post in coming weeks. Comments and suggestions are welcome !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make Everyone Smile

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know that today is officially National 'Make Everyone Smile' Day! So, consider yourself officially...